Skip to main navigation.

New/Modified Service

Surprise Valley Electrification Corp.

Procedure for New or Modified Electric Service


The following guidelines are to assist you through the application and construction process. Please read and adhere to these guidelines, as it will allow SVEC to provide your electric service in a cost effective and timely manner. SVEC staff will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

Note: If a cost estimate is all you wish to receive, email your request to Please include the APN or Map Tax Lot No., County, and a map showing the exact service location.


Phase I

I. New Service Application

  •  Make sure to fill out all applicable information completely and thoroughly. Any incomplete information may delay the processing of your application. Each new meter request will require its own application.
  • You may be required to consult a licensed electrician to accurately complete some of the information. It is important that Sections 7 & 8 are completed as accurately as possible for design purposes.
  • Email the completed application to or mail it to the following address:

Surprise Valley Electrification Corp.

Attn: New Service

800 W. 12th Street

Alturas, CA 96101

II. Permits

  • It is the applicant’s responsibility to acquire all necessary permits and inspections from the appropriate agencies. Each county requires a permit and inspection for any new or upgraded service. SVEC cannot provide electric service until all required steps have been completed. Please contact the appropriate County Building/Planning Department for more information. You must submit a copy of your county permit or permit number to SVEC.

III. Verification of Ownership

  • Please provide documentation showing proof of ownership of the property you wish to receive electric service. (Ex. – Property Deed, Tax Bill, etc.)

IV. Map/Drawing

  • A detailed map or sketch showing the location where you would like the electric service is extremely helpful. Please include any distinguishing landmarks, buildings, roadways, existing power lines, etc.

Phase II

I. Site Visit

  • Once SVEC has received and processed all the appropriate documentation, SVEC’s Engineering Department will contact you to setup a site visit. It is always better if someone can be present during the site visit, but it may not be necessary depending on the circumstances.
  • This gives SVEC’s Engineer an opportunity to look at the layout and discuss with you details such as:
  • location of facilities and equipment
  • distance from existing power source
  • if a primary line extension will be required
  • overhead vs. underground
  • any other situations or special circumstances
  • Should SVEC be required to install facilities across properties other than your own, right-of-way (ROW) for these facilities must be obtained. SVEC will obtain right-of-way on public lands such as Forest Service, BLM, etc. SVEC requires the applicant to obtain right-of-way on private land. Details will be discussed if necessary.
  • The applicant will also be responsible for any right-of-way clearing, tree and shrub removal, rocks, etc. SVEC needs a clear path to install their facilities and equipment.
  • More in depth and detailed information about the applicant’s responsibilities may be found in SVEC’s Service Requirements.

Phase III

I. Membership and Deposit

  • If you are NOT currently a member of SVEC, then you will have to complete and submit the Application for Membership and Electric Service and pay the appropriate fees.

II. Supplemental Agreement for Electric Service

  • Any new service or meter being added will require a Supplemental Agreement.

III. Aid-to-Construction

  • If you are responsible for any construction costs associated with your project, you will receive and Aid-to-Construction invoice which must be paid before SVEC will begin construction.

IV. Other Documents

  • If there are any other required documents such as ROW Easement, VFD Agreement, etc., SVEC will send those to you to as well.

Note: All documentation and fees must be completed and received by SVEC before any construction will begin. SVEC will send all required documentation to you.

Phase IV

I. Construction

  • If all requirements have been met and ROW has been cleared, then SVEC will begin construction at its earliest possible convenience.
  • If the primary line extension or new service is an underground installation, the applicant is responsible for all trenching, conduit (if required), shading and backfill. Specifications for trenching and conduit may be found in SVEC’s Service Requirements.
  • If a three-phase pad mount (underground) transformer is required, the applicant is responsible for the concrete transformer pad. Pad dimensions can be found in SVEC’s Service Requirements.
  • The applicant is also responsible for the appropriate size and type of service panel for their specific application. It is recommended that you use a qualified electrical contractor, familiar with the applicable building codes, to install your electrical equipment.
  • Once your service panel has been installed, you must contact the County Building Inspector to approve and green tag your service panel. SVEC cannot install a meter without a green tag. Please contact SVEC once your service panel has received a green tag.


To view a PDF version of the SVEC Procedure for New or Modified Electric Service, click here

New Service Application

Security Light Application

New Service Requirements

Why Service Requirements?

Powered by Touchstone Energy Cooperatives Logo